Monday 30 March 2015

Day 1: arrival and checking over

The car arrived as planned, and Ian from Caterham was very helpful with tips. He also told me that there were no missing parts, except for the hub centre caps! This was welcome news, given the tales of shortages from other 160 builders recently.
The traditional 'car-on-the-lorry' shot


Once installed in the garage, there was no room to move for cardboard boxes, so we emptied almost all of them, and stored the cardboard for use as protection for the paintwork.
UPDATE: It's probably worth keeping the contents of each box together, even if you empty them. Sometimes the picking/packing process is a bit random, and it's helpful to know whether things were boxed together at the factory.

Once everything was checked off, there were some things I couldn't' find. But I'm going to check again, before I call Derek - my new best friend, apparently.

UPDATE: please store your radiator and intercooler in a safe place immediately. The core is incredibly delicate, and liable to little bends and blemishes, which look naff and take ages to unpick.

Looking in the boot space, there is a small plank of plywood which is attached using 3 small self-tappers. The bottom of this is staring straight at the road surface, and the top will get knocked about with luggage etc, so I've decided to protect it with a few coats of stain/varnish.

Raw plywood boot floor
First coat of mahogany stain protector

I've also taped up the outside surfaces of the car with cheap 2mm foam flooring underlay (B&Q), which is going to stop little scratches on my lovely green paint.

Advice to new builders: look through every single box when the kit arrives. There are lots of things in the 'wrong' box, there's a box of odds and ends, and a few unlabelled bags with random small parts in. I'm hoping this all starts to make sense when I start the build tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment