Wednesday 6 May 2015

Day 26: engine start!

The radiator plug arrived in the post today, so there was no excuse not to the start the engine!
I put in 20 l of fuel, and when turning they key, the bubbling and cavitation noises in the tank eventually settled down.
The immobiliser needed to be reset by disconnecting the battery for a few seconds. And it's still a bit hit-and-miss - I wipe the immobiliser fob around the wires surrounding the key barrel for a couple of seconds, and you get the satisfying 'click' and the dashboard red light goes out.


It started... first time! The engine note is surprisingly deep, considering the tiny engine.

There was enough oil already in the engine (which was a nice surprise), so I left it to warm up. Worryingly, the radiator didn't get hot at all, except for the top RH corner (where the inlet pipe is). I need to check if this is OK. There was plenty of heat in the heater, and the engine temperature gauge rose slowly to about 80deg. But somehow the main radiator remained cold.

A real sense of achievement today. Just a few jobs to go, and then off to Caterham for the Post Build Check. I have my IVA paperwork through from VOSA (only took a couple of weeks), so I am all set for the big IVA test.

3 comments:

  1. Your reaction made me smile. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for posting a lot of this awesome content! Looking forward to checking out more.

    Caterham Lease & Aixam Leasing

    ReplyDelete