Wednesday 15 April 2015

Day 11: more plumbing, and the airbox

I'm waiting for a Caterham engineer to come and look at my chassis, to fit the header tank bracket rivnuts. I was willing to do it myself, but Derek wanted to send someone over insteadair

ull points to Derek, but if I was running Caterham, I'd improve QA to avoid this kind of expense.

In the meantime, my fuel pipe arrived, so I fitted the pipe between the throttle and the fuel purge valve, and tied it to the gearbox breather, and a couple of other useful fittings along the way.

Fitting the heater was done a while ago (while waiting for something else to arrive!), but now my son and I fitted pipes and the heating valve to the copper tails.
Lube the tails before fitting, and consider cutting a bit shorter for a neater fit
We cut them 10mm shorter than specified in the Assembly Guide, as this allows the valve to sit nicer between the battery and heater unit. The heater cable itself is an easy one to fit, and didn't need any adjustment. If you've fitted bicycle brakes, then you'll know how it's done here.

The airbox is about as far as I can go without the header tank, so I fitted the base of that. Again, easy.

A nice easy job, and a big engine bay space now filled

The air filter is from a Ford Fiesta (1729854)
K&N claim that replacing an air filter with their brand can add "between 1 and 4 horsepower". When you've only got 80hp, that's a 1.25-5% increase... at £50 that could be £10/hp, which seems cheap!

The whole question of upgrades and especially performance upgrades is something for another post.

The air mass sensor is from a Renault Clio (8200373771). 

detail
The large hole had already been cut in the air box lid, but needed a bit of shaping to seat the air mass sensor in properly.

I didn't have the right bolts to fit the air sensor, or the lid of the box, but I've bought a couple of boxes of nuts, washers and nyloc bolts and am substituting as I go.

3 comments:

  1. You've been doing a lot of work with that airbox, Ned. I can say that although it’s a very complex job, it seems like you're doing good with it. It looks so neat! I hope that it is now completely working. Have a great day!

    Roxanne Vaughn @ Total Plumbing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you actually swap the air filter for the K&N Type? if so, what part-no was it? I am looking at K&N 33-2853 right now, but i am not sure it's the right one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't get one. But I am due an air filter change, and will try a K&N one this time. The airbox is from a Ford Fiesta. Thanks

      Delete