Monday 13 April 2015

Day 9: clutch and exhaust

Now the engine is in, you can really feel the project coming together. There are much fewer boxes and bits on the garage floor!

Fitting the clutch cable is straightforward. The cable lock nut provided is quite different from the one in the Assembly Guide - it's smaller, and feels less capable. I'm checking with Derek @ Caterham that I've got the right one.
Cable lock for clutch. One tiny grubscrew doesn't feel enough

The exhaust is surprisingly easy to fit, from the manifold out to the end of the silencer. A couple of things to watch for:
- the catalyst and downpipe is sharp and awkwardly shaped. Good idea to leave on the pipe-lag around the chassis members to make sure you don't ding them
- the exhaust brackets fit straight onto the car's lovely paintwork, and so I was extra careful not to allow them to spin around as they were being tightened up
- the worm gear fittings to get the exhaust cover on are pigs to thread through, but with some WD40 and use of the thin screwdriver as a prod, it does work

Catalytic converter and downpipe from RHS

With some polishing, the exhaust will be a thing of beauty!

One big problem has occurred that I can't resolve without some guidance from Caterham. The header tank bracket does not have any predrilled/tapped holes to fit to. It clearly fits on the diagonal chassis members behind the engine, but there's nowhere to fit it. I may have to resort to self-tappers, or possibly tap new holes in the chassis myself. This must have been a manufacturing fault at Caterham, unless I'm completely off target here!
UPDATE1: there holes have not been drilled by the manufacturer. I am waiting for guidance from Caterham, but I think M8 rivnuts might be the right way to go here.
UPDATE2: Caterham are sending someone over to fit the rivnuts.
RHS - no holes to fit bracket

LHS - ditto
I've also got a few bits and pieces missing - you discover them as you go - including fuel pipe, without which I can't finish inside the engine bay.

3 comments:

  1. Ah yes, I was missing the fuel purge pipe too. Simon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The clutch lock nut looks like mine...by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Simon. That's reassuring! It didn't feel substantial enough to me... I might find a substitute.

    ReplyDelete